If you’re looking for an amusement park that offers something for everyone, Luna Park Melbourne is the perfect destination. With thrilling rides, tasty food options, and fascinating historical exhibits, you’ll be sure to enjoy Luna Park Melbourne.
This park perfectly mixes old and new. Make sure to add to your itinerary if you are visiting Melbourne or the Victoria area.
Melbourne’s Luna Park
Luna Park was first opened in 1912, making it one of the oldest amusement parks in Australia. It’s best-known ride is the iconic Scenic Railway rollercoaster, which has been in operation since the park first opened making it the second oldest continuously operating roller coaster in the world.
Over the years, Luna Park Melbourne has undergone several transformations to modernize the park and add new attractions, but it remains a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
Located in St Kilda, Luna Park is just a short train ride from the city center. Originally there were four Luna Parks open in Australia. However, only Luna Park Melbourne and Luna Park Sydney remain in operation to this day. The parks were based on the Coney Island, New York theme park of the same name.
Highlights of Luna Park
Luna Park Melbourne has a healthy mix of historic attractions and modern mechanical rides. Check out the highlights of Luna Park here.
- Great Scenic Railway Station: This heritage-listed wooden roller coaster is a landmark in the city and a must-do if you are visiting the park. Its track is just shy of 1 kilometre and has great views out towards the water.
- The Mr.Moon Man Entryway: Luna Park was the first amusement park in the world to feature a face at its entrance. The art deco-style entrance is a great place for a photo opportunity.
- Ghost Train: Another historical ride, the Ghost train first opened in 1934. Today, this spooky ride still haunts and thrills its guests. We dare you to try it if you are visiting in the evening.
- The Carousel: According to the Luna Park website “Luna Park’s Carousel is the largest and most elaborate in the Southern Hemisphere.” This beauty is a theme park classic and was built in 1913. It is great for all ages.
- The Power Surge: This modern attraction is one of the most thrilling rides at the park. Fly through the air while spinning. Thrill chasers will want to ride this again and again.
Food at Luna Park
There are a number of food outlets at Luna Park Melbourne. You can find a wide variety of outlets selling everything from carnival food to snacks and food combos. Like you would expect from a theme park you can find fairy floss, snow cones, burgers and some Aussie classics like calamari and chips. A burger combo with a drink and chips is about $15 to $20 depending on the type you get.
However, if you would prefer not to spend the extra money. You can bring your own food and drinks into the amusement. This is a great policy, especially if you have little ones who need snacks throughout the day.
The park is centrally located close to many restaurants and other food venues but unfortunately you are not allowed to go out of the Luna Park Melbourne once you have entered on the same ticket. So don’t make the mistake of trying to leave for a bite to eat and then not being allowed re-entry.
At Luna Park Melbourne, they have an annual hot dog eating contest. This spectacle is open to pro and amateur participants. Each category has to chance to win money, with a giant cheque to boot. Check the official event page for details but typically it takes place on International Hot Dog day in July.
Tips for Visiting Luna Park
- Tickets can sell out. If you pre-purchase tickets online you are guaranteed entry. Howveer, if you arrive and they are sold out then you won’t be able to get them at the ticket office. This typically happens when the theme park is holding events or on holidays during the high season.
- Be sun smart – but you already knew that! It can be easy to forget to reapply when you are out all day. Sunscreen, hats and plenty of water is encouraged.
- Visit during downtime or budget for your time for lines. If you are there for the rides and the rides alone then skip the lines by visiting during the off-season.
- Some rides may close due to bad weather. If it rainy or windy, the park may shut down particular rides for the safety of the guests.
- Plan for at least 3-5 hours at the park however, you could easily spend all day here.
- Hours vary according to the season. During school holidays the park says open to as late as 10:00pm.
Where is Luna Park Located?
Luna Park is located in the Melbourne suburb of St Kilda, just a short tram ride from the city center. Its official address is 18 Lower Esplanade, St Kilda VIC 3182, Australia.
In St. Kilda, it is hard to miss the amusement park with its colourful and iconic Mr.Moon entryway. You will find it just a few steps from the shores of Port Phillip Bay and near the Palais Theatre, where it has stood for over 100 years.
How to Get to Luna Park
If you are coming from the CBD one of the easiest ways to get to the park is by taking the Frankston line from Flinders Street Station. However, there are a variety of bus and tram options. Plan your trip with Victoria’s Public Transport here. You can add Luna Park as a destination and it will appear in the planner.
If you are driving, you will have to find parking around the park since they do not offer any. However, there is lots of street parking lots nearby.
Luna Park Tickets
There are a few options for tickets. You can get an Unlimited Rides ticket, Luna Park Single Ride Tickets (which can be upgraded to include more rides) and Family Pass Tickets. If you are with a little one, in some cases parents ride free when you to accompany a minor.
Regular goers, might want to consider an annual pass. Alternatively, gift cards make a great and unique gift.
Places to Stay Near Melbourne’s Luna Park
There is no accommodation inside Luna Park but there are many options nearby in St. Kilda. If you are visiting Melbourne consider these places to stay.
The St.Kilda Garden Cottage is a well-appointed one-bedroom home located just minutes by foot from the park. It has a full kitchen and can accommodate up to 3 people across one double bed and one sofa bed.
The house dates back to 1984, has a lot of character and a 9.7 out of 10 review. You can secure it for rates starting at $175 AUD per night.
Quest Bayside is great for large groups or families. They have a variety of rooms available for groups of different sizes, each of which comes with a fully equipped kitchen, laundry and balcony. To top it off, the property has a fitness centre, heated pool and BBQ facilities.
It is about a 10-minute walk to Luna Park along the vibrant Acland St and Esplanade area. Rates start at about $150 AUD per night.
If you’re looking for a fun-filled day out, make sure to add Luna Park Melbourne to your itinerary. With its thrilling rides, tasty food options, live performances and fascinating history, Luna Park is a must-visit destination. If you want to create fond memories for the whole family, start planning your trip today.
Read Next: Top Things to do in Melbourne